Refrigerated shipping containers are enclosed units used for transporting temperature-sensitive cargo. This type of container requires an external power supply for its operation. Read this article from the best freight forwarders in Bahrain to learn everything you ever wanted to know about container refrigeration units.
Temperature-controlled shipping containers or reefers
Firstly, refrigerated shipping containers are otherwise known as reefers. Next, when they are aboard the ships, they need the power supply from the power generator of the D.G sets of the vessel. In case the vessel’s generator capacity is not enough to support this power consumption for the reefers (in case of old ship or unavailability of the generator due to overhauling etc.), then logistics companies in the Middle East will provide and install mobile power packs on the ship. Consequently, you don’t have to worry about a thing. Although, you may need a particular type for your cargo. Depending upon the efficiency requirement and the type of goods you need to carry.
Types of Refrigerated Shipping Containers are:
- Closed reefer: This is a conventional type of refrigerated container. It comes in one-piece with an integral front wall and an all-electric automatic cooling and heating unit for ISO sea-going containers.
- Modified/ Controlled Atmosphere (MA/CA) reefer containers: These types of insulated shipping containers maintain a constant atmosphere by replacing consumed oxygen. They use an air exchange system. This type of system keeps an ideal atmosphere in balance with the product’s deterioration rate.
- Automatic Fresh Air Management Containers: Popularly known by its acronym – AFAM reefer containers has advanced technology that automatically regulates the air combination. This adjusts the scale of fresh air exchange. It works similar to the second type of climate-controlled container. It controls the composition of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and others. You can adjust the controls of the AFAM refrigerated containers to influence and extend the shelf lives of the cargo they carry.
- You should never risk or ignore an injury, no matter how small it seems. Always obtain first aid or medical attention immediately.
- Keep hand, tools, and clothing clear from evaporator and condenser fan.
- Also, do not perform any work on any of the units until you switch off all circuit breakers and start-stop switches. Then disconnect power supply disconnected.
- Furthermore, do not bypass any electrical safety device that’s on the manual instructions.
- First of all, in case you will be performing arc welding on unit or condenser, make sure to disconnect all wires from the module in the control box. Never remove wire harness from the module unless you have a unit frame that has a static-safe wrist strap.
- If an electrical fire occurs, you should open the circuit switch and extinguish it with CO2 extinguisher.
- Officer and crew responsible for your refrigerated shipping container must know all the possible hazards in relation to refrigerant gas. For example – Phosgene gas hazard (which can happen in high temperatures), Asphyxiation hazard in non-ventilated spaces, etc.